Lets Drop Old Monitors

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Sun Jul 15 16:18:34 UTC 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Billie Walsh wrote:

> On 07/12/2018 11:01 AM, Bill Vance wrote:
>>
>> Howdy;
>>
>> Do excuse me for mooching, (part of), a Subject: line.  :-)
>>
>> In a sense, this is about a similar sort of problem, but coming
>> at it from a different direction.  My hope here, is to provide
>> some ideas for improving on what so far, is _very_ frustrating.
>>
>> A while back when my trusty old Optiquest Q-71 monitor died, and
>> I replaced it with a brand new HD monitor, I expected it to solve
>> a host of problems.  Unfortunately, a bunch of really nasty
>> problems showed up, mostly dealling with text, and symbol sizes.
>> I am constantly running up against this problem.  Obviously,
>> there's only going to be more, and more HD monitors out there
>> as time goes on, so.......
>>
>> Therefore, as a way of solving the agravation involved, and
>> fixing the source, I would like to suggest the following to
>> those involved in programming the OS.
>>
>> 1.  A plugin module which any programmer can include in their
>>     software, to make the change from old style to HD, a better
>>     controlled, nicer, easier, experience.  The less they have
>>     to do to make it work, the better.  If item 2, (below), is
>>     done adequately, this could be a simple Kernel option.
>>
>> 2.  It should be something as simple as a possible Ctrl/Alt key
>>     combination at the start of any text sequence or symbol item
>>     so the system knows it may need re-sizing, and act accordingly.
>>
>> 3.  A list of which bit of text, or symbol should have which size
>>     should be in something like /etc/prog-name/sizes.
>>
>> 4.  The install disk should be capable of determining which
>>     sort of monitor the system has, and include it or not.
>>     It should be capable of being added if an old monitor,
>>     (like mine), dies, and gets replaced.
>>
>> 5.  Changing the size of text, or symbol, should be as easy
>>     as putting the mouse pointer on it, and activating the
>>     appropriate up/down menu item of the left+right button
>>     clipboard style options.
>>
>> These are just a few ideas, and there are no doubt others out
>> there, too.  Don't be "bash"full, now :-) if you've a few of
>> your own send 'em in.  Things won't improve without input. :-)
>>
>> Bill
>
> How about <Control>+<+>
> or
> <control>+<->

Is that a Control+/Control-, I.e., Ctrl and plus/minus key, or
is it a Ctrl key, and a plus/minus key followed by another
plus/minus key, (double strike), or what?  Changing screen
resolution used to be as simple as Ctrl plus or minus, but I
believe that went away with 14.04.  It should do fine for
switching between old, and HD modes now though.

Bill