Screen Res problem in 16.04

Bill Vance kbun at xpresso.seaslug.org
Fri Jan 19 16:20:38 UTC 2018

Ok, I'm checking out the try it and see portion of a
16.04 install DVD.  When I get to the screen resolution
portion of os the System Settings, the choice of
available resolutions is completely unsatisfactory.
There are _only_ two, 720X400, and 1920X1080.  I have
to use a _LARGE_ magnifying glass just to see these
numbers, and clicking on either doesn't change the
resolution, at all.

How do I get this to work, and with the entire
spectrum of resolutions to pick, and choose from,
so I can get something decent to work with?

Bill