Fwd: kernel updates for k12.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Sep 16 11:20:57 UTC 2017

ray burke wrote:
> I followed your instructions- and the only thing that worked was sudo
> apt-get remove hplip and reboot.
>
> then rebooted,and brought up my logon screen, entered my password,
> then went away and brought up a Black screen, with cursor button, and
> nothing else except, my PopPeeper.exc (email notifier)and reminder.exc
> (birthday events notifier) which both run thru wine. got rid of
> systray error,
> but I remember that hplip is the Hewlett Packard printer 1200c, which
> sat down
> in the bottom task bar with other icons. I still have no desktop, just
> black screen.

So actually it didn't really work. Well, there was a single post I found
which mentioned wine - see the last answer at
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/101828/no-system-tray-detected-on-this-system>. So you could try if it helps to uninstall wine:

sudo apt-get remove wine

and then reboot.

> PS Is there a way I can upgrade from a K14.04LTS .iso DVD by changing
> the software settings in the Muon settings to include CD Rom, after
> cloning back to before I ran the online upgrade?

I have no idea how to do that - maybe somebody else could help here.

Anyway, you may still have the packages on your system which were
downloaded during the upgrade - it depends on the apt settings. Please
have a look at "/var/cache/apt/archives/". If there are lots of .deb
packages in that directory, you could copy them to a location outside of
the partition you want to clone back. Then before you upgrade again,
copy them back to the original location. That should avoid downloading
everything again. It may be useful even if you upgrade from the DVD
because the packages on the DVD probably aren't the latest version.

Nils