17.10 font hinting broken?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sat Oct 21 11:02:38 UTC 2017

I just upgraded to 17.10[*] and, as every time I upgrade, the fonts
sucks: I like my fonts crisp, so I hate antialiasing at the normal font
sizes.
OTOH without aliasing most fonts have bad hinting and look awful, so I
use fonts with good hinting (msttcorefonts), aliasing disabled between 8
and 15 points and full hinting.
This usually fixes the problem with bad fonts, but this time it doesn't:
it seems that it doesn't do hinting at all and the fonts are badly
rendered (just like they usually do with the autohinter).

I tried both using the kde fonts settings (which writes
~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf [**]) and linking (in /etc/fonts)
conf.avail/10-hinting-full.conf to conf.d but I couldn't fix the problem.

At the moment I had to enable aliasing for all font sizes and my eyes
are bleeding (though they bled even more without the correct hinting).

Any hint (no pun intended)?

[*]side note: it didn't propose the upgrade even if I have enabled in
discover the setting to show all upgrades, I had to upgrade manually
with do-release-upgrade

[**]side note 2: it seems that kde cannot parse back the fonts.conf it
writes, since, e.g., it shows the aliasing as "disabled" when I just
enabled it and it wrote fonts.conf.

Bye
--
Luca