[Kubuntu-council] Minutes from 'Growing our Community, and Onboarding new people' meeting

Valorie Zimmerman valorie-zimmerman at kubuntu.org
Fri Oct 13 23:37:20 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Rick Timmis
<ricktimmis68 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Attendees: Clivejo, Valoriez, acheronuk, sick_rimmit
>
> The council discussed the following
>
> 1 - How do we reach out to the community currently ?
>
> ML, IRC, Ubuntu Forum, ( The Forums don't work well for Kubuntu, the
> community there can be rude. Not worth investing

But KubuntuForums DO, just to clarify.

> Social Media - need to recruit people who like it. Facebook page is pretty
> awful, folks ask support but no one responds. Google+, Twitter ?????
>
> This needs a dedicated socialmedia team - Quest - Social Mdeia research
> team, to invite group owners to a subsequent Cafe..
>
> Telegram / Chat things - Valorie is testing Matrix along with the KDE -
> Purism Phone will be using Matrix.
>
> As Matrix is directly bridged to Freenode IRC, this makes it a very
> pursuavive tool -Council are encourage to experiment with this, and provide
> feedback.
>
> We concluded that rationalising our channels, and making the most effort to
> bring disparate groups into the primary channels is the way forward. Those
> channels are in order of preference.
>
> 1 - Mailing List
> 2 - IRC ( Internet Relay Chat )
> 3 - Kubuntuforums.net
>
> Organise Website dedicated meeting, Gathering input from OnAir - Promote
> this as an community event far and wide, and then arrange a secondary
> meeting to discuss this input - Going to need a secreatary. -> RT
>
> Items to discuss - Matrix - webchat.freenode.net

We also discussed getting a new line in every Help menu for all KDE
applications: along with About $application and About KDE, add About
$distribution with a link to our website

> 2 - How do we attract new community members ?
>
> We realised that addressing the points in 1, would reduce the number of
> channels and make it clearer and easier for newcomers to find the main heart
> of the Kubuntu community. Fostering the correct attitudes and approaches
> from the existing community by targetting the most positive channels we can
> find, also encourages and welcomes new members.
>
> 3 - How do we become sticky, so that new people want to stay with us ?
>
> IRC users very often join the channel and then leave... the more people are
> around to answer questions, the easier and better it gets. New users
> struggle with IRC, and they very often don't know what it is used for.

Telegram helps with that, and matrix might do as well. Web IRC users
just close the tab when they don't get an answer within minutes.

Also identifying roles that people could play in the community would
help them stick.

> Onboarding - The contribute page should be central to this, so that when
> they arrive it appeals to them in the sense of "What sounds interesting to
> you ? " - Identifying Organisational Roles ( Web Author, Video Editor,
> Social Media Guru, Marketer, Administrator, Developer, Documentor, Reviewer,
> Tester, ) - These roles need to be quite narrow, and clearly defined. Work
> groups -: Developers, Administration, Marketing, Support, Community.
>
> AOB - Nothing more to add

Thanks for calling and organizing the meeting, Rick! and then taking
the notes. I think it was really productive.

Valorie