17.10 network changes

Bmarsh bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Oct 2 17:39:55 UTC 2017

 From: David <david at hackbinary.com> To: bmarsh at bmarsh.com, 	Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: 17.10 network changes Date: 10/2/17, 1:14 PM

Hi,
Two things to check:
1. What is the name of your network device?  I had an update change the ethernet device name from eth0 to enp3s1 or some such nonsense that is supposed to give consistent naming even if I add in additional adapters into my laptop.  You can grep through dmesg to find out.  Or you can find the name out when you ip addr .
Thanks for the reply.   Name is enp3s0 and has been that since 16.10.  And that name is picked up by dhcp but I can’t get a static address assigned like I could in 16.10

2. Is network maanger running?
Yes, and I’ve played with starting and stopping it as well as a lot of other tricks.

You can force network maanger to use the interraces file.  The debian site tells you how. https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

Will take a look at this.
3. Okay, I lied there is a third point.  Have a looked through your syslog to find out what's happening?
Using dmesg I see that enp3s0 is shown as up and down many times during startup...  so maybe it is a timing problem.  Will do some more looking at syslog.  I WAS able to use ifconfig to assign the static address that is in the interfaces file and that works as a temp fix so it indicates everything is working except the use of the interfaces file.  But this problem is a showstopper as far as I am concerned.
Good luck.  Thsee things are frustrating.  I had a similar problem getting network manager to work.  The problem was a certain zero byte file was missing.

Hmmm.  Want to tell what file that was?
David