Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Sat Nov 11 11:44:54 UTC 2017

El 10/11/17 a les 12:28, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
> El 10/11/17 a les 12:06, Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>> El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
>>> I run a similar setup. I had to reduce my VM to be 2G to help. It was
>>> the only process I really had control over. Firefox will bloat over
>>> time as well. Thunderbird appears to be fairly stable. Swapping is
>>> bad no matter whether it does it well or not. So, were I you I would
>>> see how small I could make my VM and still have it functional. I
>>> would also look at enabling the BFQ disk I/O scheduler on the 4.13
>>> kernel (Default kernel on 17.10). It is builtĀ into the kernel but not
>>> turned on by default. That may help with the kernelĀ catatonia when
>>> swapping.
>>
>> No, I had it already enabled
>>
>> $ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
>> noop deadline [cfq]
>
> Oops, misread cfq for bfq...

OK, now I have enabled bfq, but ever other time it comes out of
suspension it gets totally stuck:
I either get black screen where I only can move the mouse or the login
screen that doesn't accept my password with no message no nothing. If I
switch to a virtual console, as soon as I enter the username it blocks
and I have to reset the machine.
In a sense it worked hough: it doesn't have enough time to leak memory ;-)

Bye
--
Luca