Bad memory/swap management in 17.10?

Luca Olivetti luca at ventoso.org
Fri Nov 10 11:06:58 UTC 2017

El 09/11/17 a les 21:12, Paul Lemmons ha escrit:
> I run a similar setup. I had to reduce my VM to be 2G to help. It was
> the only process I really had control over. Firefox will bloat over time
> as well. Thunderbird appears to be fairly stable. Swapping is bad no
> matter whether it does it well or not. So, were I you I would see how
> small I could make my VM and still have it functional. I would also look
> at enabling the BFQ disk I/O scheduler on the 4.13 kernel (Default
> kernel on 17.10). It is builtĀ into the kernel but not turned on by
> default. That may help with the kernelĀ catatonia when swapping.

No, I had it already enabled

$ cat /sys/class/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop deadline [cfq]

I cannot reduce the VM memory, but if the same setup worked fine before,
the fact that it doesn't work now points to a problem somewhere,
probably in the kernel.

Bye
--
Luca