kmail doesn't show email or headers

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 1 04:30:09 UTC 2017

On 02/28/2017 01:18 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Charles T. Bell <cbell44 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 02/27/2017 12:49 PM, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>>> FYI, here is a screenshot of his kmail window
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:mdhirsch at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     My dad called me this morning in a panic with this problem and I was
>>>     unable to help him.  I hope someone here knows the answer.
>>>
>>>     He uses kontact and kmail for his email, and has for around 15 years.
>>>     I'm pretty sure he's running 16.04, the latest LTS Kubuntu.
>>>
>>>     He has many mail folders, which he can see fine in kmail.  But
>>>     clicking on one does not display the contents at all.  Neither the
>>>     headers nor any contents display.
>>>
>>>     He usually has a 3 panel view with the folders down the left side, the
>>>     headers at the top of the right side, and the message contents at the
>>>     bottom of the right side.  The panels should have panel dividers in
>>>     between the panels.
>>>
>>>     Now he has only the folders.  Only the single panel with no panel
>>>     dividers.
>>>
>>>     Any ideas for where the missing panels are?
>>>
>>>     I've been trying to find the place that kmail keeps it's settings for
>>>     the panel dividers' locations.  If I can reset them then I hope they
>>>     will show up.
>>>
>>>     Where can I find the values of the dividers?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     Michael
>>>

>> Did you have him check the "Settings" menu?
>> Then click "Configure Kmail..."?
>> Then click "Appearance"?
>> Then click "Layout"?
>> Make sure that "Show the message preview pane below the message list"?
>
> Yes, we tried that.  Since he doesn't even have the message list it is
> something else going on.
>
> In the past he has managed to drag the separator between the folder
> and the messages so far to the left that the folder were not visible.
> I hoped for something like that here, but haven't found it.  My kmail
> no longer lets me drag the separator that far over.
>
> I still can't find where the UI configuration is stored.  I've tried
> dragging my panel separator, then looking for changed files and can't
> find one that seems to hold that data.
>
> Where is the kmail UI configuration saved?
>
> Michael

I would say to use "locate kmailrc" command on the commandline and
select the line that starts with "/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/"
I don't know how much longer the line will be, but however long you can
find one version of kmailrc there.
Good luck!

Tom Bell
--
The thing about quotes on the internet is you
cannot confirm their validity. ~Abraham Lincoln