Can no longer run certain programs

José Queiroz zekkerj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:55:01 UTC 2017

That's not the point. I agree with you that is wise and safe restraining
access to disk and such operations.
But we're missing the point here: the user is complaining that he lost
access *he once had*. So, we must seek configurations that may have changed
to cause that symptom.
Particularly, he was complaining that he once had the ability to *reformat
an SD card*, so we may think that he once had raw access to the disk, even
as regular user. That should be accomplished by being part of "disk" group
--- safe or not.

So, a way to recover the former behavior is to restore groups to the same
previous level. Its a fix. Not a safe fix, neither a beautiful fix, but
it's a fix.

Of course, fixing the way he works would be much better; and instructing
him to no more try to run low level operations like formatting or
partitioning as regular user would be the safer, more correct way.