Download file LibreOffice German dictionary: small mistake & "workaround".

Bas G. Roufs - in English basroufs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:10:49 UTC 2017

Dear everybody from the Open Document Foundation Security Team.

(A copy of this message goes to the Kubuntu and Ubuntu user mailing lists. )

Please, take a look at this page:

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/extensions/german-de-de-igerman98-dictionaries

Scroll at that page, until you'll arrive at this heading:

German (de-DE igerman98) dictionaries - 2011.06.21

Or copy - paste the above name directly into the search dialogue window
(Control-F) of the Firefox browser.

From there, scroll to the hyperlink to the download file with this name:

dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21

Or copy-paste this name into the search dialogue window of Firefox - the
window you'll get by typing "Control-F¨ and go directly to the link I refer
to.

When downloading the file "behind" the link, you'll get a file with this name:
dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.

My system is Kubuntu  (Linux) 16.04 LTS, along with KDE Plasma version 5.8.6.
and LibreOffice 5.1.6.2.  It "sees" the file "dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21" as
it comes from the download page as a .bin - file; that's why, the extension
manager from Libre Office cannot work with it.

However, I discovered a simple, but effective "workaround".  I have "renamed"
the file "dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21": by manually adding the 4 characters
".oxt". So, the new name of the file is now:

"dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.oxt"

After doing so, the system opens the file via LibreOffice who will in it's turn
automatically add this extension.

However it may be - not everybody is able to solve the problem as summarized
here. That's why, I advise you to upload a correctly named file  to the  above
mentioned download page - this means a file with some name ; pls. add the 4
characters ".oxt" to it. By example:
 "dict-de_de-igerman98_2011-06-21.oxt"

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.