Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 00:11:07 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM,  <accessys at smart.net> wrote:

> how in the heck can you complain no testers when there is nothing to
> test?????
>
> Bob

Hi Bob, you can always test the daily ISOs.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2017, Aaron Honeycutt wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 22:45:03 -0400
>> From: Aaron Honeycutt <honeycuttaaron3 at gmail.com>
>> To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>> Subject: Re: Shall we drop i386 / 32-bit? If you think no, please test
>>

>> 32 bit was not included this Alpha.

>>> Did I miss something??   Went to grab a 32 bit image file and there
>>> aren't
>>> any at the above link.  All 64 bit

Evidently you were just a bit late. Once the alpha and beta ISOs are
spun, we have only a few days to complete the required testing at the
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones site before the
milestone release. Testing afterward is great, but it does not help in
qualifying the milestone for release.

In answer to another question -- we have loads of automated testing,
all during the development process, as does our upstreams, Debian and
KDE. In addition, we have our own "KCI" which is the Kubuntu
Continuous Integration tests of our own automated packaging. Without
this, our small crew would not be able to create Kubuntu.

We rely on PEOPLE to install and use the ISOs and the software itself,
and file bugs, and fix them if possible. We want feedback of all
sorts, even grumbling. Everybody uses different equipment and has
different needs and tastes. We rely on you the users to talk to the
team when something needs fixing. What seems like an obvious bug to
you might not have been seen by any of us. Remember we are a small
team, and all volunteer.

According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseSchedule
the Alpha 2 is July 27th. So we have about 2 weeks to get ready. I
will put out a call *as soon as possible after the ISOs are spun*
although I will be in Spain at Akademy. So I'll have even less time to
test than usual, although I am running Artful on my main machine
already. :-)

If you are one of the people who want i386 to be out for general
testing, please plan on helping run the test suites on the qa tracker
for i386, so that we can release this milestone on the way to our
final release of 17.10 in October.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez