14.4.5 LTS upgrade problem on Fujitu SIEMENS Laptop

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 06:01:19 UTC 2017

Hi Nino

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Nino Novak <kubuntu at ninonovak.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to automatically upgrade my daughter's ESPRIMO Mobile U9200,
> which hasn't been used for about 2 years, to a recent Kubuntu version. The
> old system offered upgrade to 14.4.5 LTS (IIRC).
>
> Download went smooth, but after automatic reboot the installation hangs,
> screen stays black, load goes to 1.29, fan blows loudly.
>
> Changing to tty1 and login successful:
>
> top shows that NetworkManager consumes ~42% up to 97.8% of cpu.
> sometimes apport runs, sometimes plymouthd - no other active processes
>
> dmesg has hundreds of entries like this:
>
> network-manager main process killed b ABRT signal
> network-manager main process ended, respawning
>
> How to proceed?
>
> (I'm not skilled with kubuntu, but had been using openSUSE for several
> years, so at least have some basic linux knowledge)
>
> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Nino

In general, when there is a problem upgrading, the first thing to try
in the commandline is

sudo apt-get install -f

The -f means fix.

If the report is that there is nothing more to download or fix, try:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

which might help as well. "Dist-upgrade" will both upgrade any
packages needing upgrading, and also autoremove any no longer needed
dependencies.

One final command to try is

sudo dpkg -reconfigure -a

where -a means "all".

sudo dpkg --configure -a

will configure all unpacked but unconfigured packages if that is the problem.

Finally, you can once more run

sudo do-release-upgrade

which will try one more time to do the upgrade.

Please report your progress to us.

Valorie