KDE PIM update for Zesty available for testers

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 07:44:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've tried the upgrade but fail to understand the dependancy circle
I'm encountering.
Disclaimer:I'm not a packaging expert!

aptitude suggests to remove 7 packages, of which knotes is one. This
is because knotes has both version 16.04.3 and 16.12.3 of kdepim-doc
in the breaks and replaces dependancies. Like I said, I'm not an
expert, but it seems strange for knotes 16.12.3 to have a break
dependancy on kdepim-doc 16.12.3?

A little more research reveals that kdepim-doc 16.12.3 is a
transitional package and can be removed. So that would explain the
problems, but fact is, that is not the suggested solution?

In some sort of same way kdepim-runtime breaks kdepimkio-plugins
16.04.3 but here the solution isn't so obvious other than removing
kdepimkio-plugins.

Another circle:
libkf5messagecomposer5 depends on kf5-messagelib-data and resolving
this leads to a circle, unless I remove libkf5messagecomposer5
completely. The same holds for libkf5messagecore5, libkf5messagelist5,
libkfmessageviewer5 and libkf5mailcommon5. They are all 16.04.3
versions so I assume it's safe to remove them?

I've canceled the upgrade for now.

Best regards,
Martin

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Since we missed by a whisker getting updated PIM (kontact, kmail,
> akregator, kgpg etc..) into Zesty for release day, and we believe it
> is important that our users have access to this significant update,
> packages are now available for testers in the Kubuntu backports
> landing ppa. Read the details on the website:
>
> http://kubuntu.org/news/kde-pim-update-for-zesty-available-for-testers/
>
> I've posted this news on Kubuntu Forums, and Twitter (my own account).
> Feel free to spread the word!
>
> Valorie
>
> --
> http://about.me/valoriez

If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator