How to: Auto-mount VMware shared folders in Ubuntu server 16.04

Alan Dacey (grokit) grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Tue Sep 27 15:17:38 UTC 2016

Hi all,
	Not exactly Kubuntu related unless you're running vmware virtual machines on Kubuntu like I am but I've had a mess of a time figuring this out and I thought that this would be helpful to someone who was pulling her/his hair out like I was.
	Seems that running an Ubuntu server in VMware has changed in the last few years and all of the information that comes up in a search is out of date.
First thing is that vmware-tools is no longer used, open-vm-tools is automagically installed and takes care of all that.
Second thing is auto-mounting your shared folders has changed.
	To automatically mount your shares add the following to your /etc/fstab

		.host:/ /mnt/hgfs fuse.vmhgfs-fuse uid=1000,gid=1000,defaults 0 0

		That assumes that the folder /mnt/hgfs exists also you may not need the uid and gid but I like to explicitly define the owner on a server.

Hope this helps someone.
Alan