Backup

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 15:44:04 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 10:56 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-11-03 at 15:28 +0200, Errol Sapir wrote:
>>

>> On 11/03/2016 10:29 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
>>> PS
>>>
>>> I never, ever use graphical tools to copy/move large numbers of
>>> files.
>>> They just don't seem to be reliable for this and even Linux desktop
>>> graphical tools fall over in my experience. OTOH terminal type
>>> tools
>>> such as rsync always work.
>>>
>>  If one knows the various definitions to use in rsync I'm sure it is
>> the one of the better solutions. I am too new to rsync to risk it on
>> something that is so vital as all my data unless I can be hand-
>> held.:-[
>> Errol
>
> Basically, all you need is rsync -av. It can work just within your
> local computer or across your network. For example, this is the command
> that it is embedded in a script that automatically grabs a copy of what
> is on my server:-
> rsync -av --delete --bwlimit=20000 root at server:/home/
> /home/dave/backups/server/copyofslashhome/
>
> but all you need for your purposes as a beginner is probably something
> like
> sudo rsync -av --delete /home/ /media/YourBackupDevice/
>
> using sudo so that you can access home directories other than your own.
> I think that should work. To get the networked example to work I use a
> trick with something called ssh keys. As a beginner don't worry about
> that for now, just be aware that there is something you can use to get
> access to the content of other computers.
>
> If you're worried, set up a test directory to play with, and experiment
> with leaving out --delete and keeping it in, but rsync will not alter
> the source directory.
>
> Dave

I have a program called 'cheat' that allows me to get info on some
common commands at the commandline.  The following is a copy of what
cheat has on rsync:
# To copy files from remote to local, maintaining file properties and
sym-links (-a), zipping for faster transfer (-z), verbose (-v).
rsync -avz host:file1 :file1 /dest/
rsync -avz /source host:/dest

# Copy files using checksum (-c) rather than time to detect if the file
has changed. (Useful for validating backups).
rsync -avc /source/ /dest/

# Copy contents of /src/foo to destination:

# This command will create /dest/foo if it does not already exist
rsync -auv /src/foo /dest

# Explicitly copy /src/foo to /dest/foo
rsync -auv /src/foo/ /dest/foo

Tom Bell
--
"Labor is prior to, and independent of capital. Capital is only the
fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first