Question about boottime kubuntu 14.04 and 16.04

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat May 14 19:51:53 UTC 2016

On 05/14/2016 09:28 AM, anton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did the following test:
> on my kubuntu 14.04 (64bit) I used Virtual Box 4.3.36 to
> create two virtual machines:
>
> 1. One with Kubuntu 14.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
> 2. One with Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit (fresh install without updates)
>
> Now I start the kubuntu 14.04 VM and habe the following timings +-2sec
> because I look on my watch:
>
> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 18 sec
> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 15 sec
> After a second try I get:
> 1. ... 21 sec
> 2. ... 14 sec
>
> Now I do the same test with kubuntu 16.04:
>
> 1. Time from start to appearance of login screen: 24 sec
> 2. Time from login until appearance of desktop: 23 sec
> After a second try I get:
> 1. ... 25 sec
> 2. ... 20 sec
>
> So I get the foolowing sums:
>
> Kubuntu 14.04
> 1. 33 s =  18 s + 15 s
> 2. 35 s =  21 s + 14 s
>
> Kubuntu 16.04
> 1. 47 s =  24 s + 23 s
> 2. 45 s =  25 s + 20 s
>

> OK, while these values are not soo precise there
> is a clear trand that kubuntu 16.04 seems to be slower on bootup,
> and on the login part.
>
> My questions:
>   - do you observe similar values on your machines?
>   - is the Virtual Box faking me?
>   - is the login part slower due to plasma5 (Kde5 = qt5?)
>     or the use of QML? (I don't know what plasma 5 is really working)?
>

> Thanks for a hint
>

>   Anton

If you want fast boot times go to a solid state drive. My HP laptop with
an AMD quad core and 8 gigs of ram boots up 14.04 in almost no time.
That point when the splash screen shows each step in sequence as they
load. All light up at once and your looking at the desktop. You go from
the Grub boot select screen [ the laptop is dual booted ] to the desktop
in less time than your time to login screen.

--
Fast is fine, but accuracy is final.
You must learn to be slow in a hurry.