thunderbird colors broken by upgrade from 38.8 to 45.2

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Tue Jul 26 15:15:45 UTC 2016

         I'm using Kubuntu 14.04.4 and Thunderbird suddenly became
almost unusable yesterday because of a change in the color scheme.  From
dpkg.log, this seems to be the culprit:

2016-07-25 11:26:49 upgrade thunderbird:amd64
1:38.8.0+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 1:45.2.0+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.3

         It seems to be ignoring my system color scheme, and to be the
only application doing so.  Even Firefox 47.0 is still cooperating.  In
Thunderbird, there is no longer a color distinction between the selected
message and unselected messages in the message list.  If I select text,
such as an email address or subject or something in the message body,
both selected text and selected text background are black, so I cannot
see the selected text.  In the addressing area of a message, there is no
distinction between one address line and the next, so it just looks like
one big area.

         I've tried to downgrade to 38.8 via "apt-get install" but it
seems 38.8 is no longer in the repository.  "apt-cache show thunderbird"
shows only versions 45.2 and 24.4.

         Any ideas how I can fix Thunderbird 45.2 or downgrade to
Thunderbird 38.8?

Thanks,

Jason