KDEConnect

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Tue Jan 12 01:29:16 UTC 2016

On Monday, January 11, 2016 07:04:48 PM Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 06:27 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Monday, January 11, 2016 03:54:54 PM Billie Walsh wrote:
> >> I just found out there is an Android app for KDEConnect. Installed just
> >> fine but now I need to figure out how to start it on my Kubuntu 14.04
> >> desktop. The Android app sees my desktop just fine but a paring request
> >> goes unanswered.
> >
> > Have you tried pairing it from the desktop side? My oldish HTC Droid DNA
> > phone will only pair that way, but my 2 brand new LG G4 and LG V10 pair
> > either way. Also make sure you have a newer version of the desktop
> > software, the Trusty version is older and kdeconnect works best when both
> >  the desktop and  the android versions are as close as possible.
> >
> > https://code.launchpad.net/~vikoadi/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/
> >
> > Note that from this ppa, you don't need to install the
> > indicator-kdeconnect package unless you are running Unity.
>
> I don't know how to start KDEConnect on the desktop. There's no listing
> for it in the menus and running kdeconnect from "Run Command" does nothing.

It will be in System Settings, and you can also get to the module by searching
for "kde" or a similar string in the kmenu's search bar.

> I found a website [ http://tinyurl.com/pnzfe9y ] that says I need to
> update to a newer version of KDEConnect than what is now installed for
> it to work reliably. I've been trying for  while but installing from CLI
> just stalls like it's waiting for input but won't accept anything. Even
> with the ppa added to the sources Synaptic only shows the older version.
> I found UbuntuUpdates.org and downloaded the deb file. Will try
> installing that.

After you have added the ppa, make sure you fetch updates (reload. I think in
Synaptic), then do a normal system update. I can't tell what you have going on
with your install attempts without more specific details of what you are
seeing.

--
Clay Weber