Baloo_File????

David david at hackbinary.com
Mon Jan 4 07:00:33 UTC 2016

> What's the correct way to turn this off.

+1 to this.

<rant>
My understanding is that KDE development team has made this very difficult
to do because they feel that this feature is too important for us mere
users to decide that we should want to switch off.
</rant>

I turned it off way back when by editing
*$HOME/.kde/share/config/baloofilerc*

by changing
*Indexing-Enabled=true *

to (or adding if there is no such option)
*Indexing-Enabled=false*

This Baloo index and search features along with Akonadi, and Nepomuk have
been things that just not have worked very well for me, at least.

ref:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/437635/how-to-turn-off-baloo-in-kde-4-13
https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

David

On 4 January 2016 at 06:49, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> What's the correct way to turn this off.
>
> David Lang
>

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Baloo is the indexing file for the newest versions of Kubuntu.  It allows
>> you a quick
>> search within the file manager and Kontact. Quite useful though.
>>
>> The only downside is that it takes some time to index all files in your
>> system. It
>> took me at the beginning something like 2-3 hours, but then all worked
>> smoothly.
>>
>> I think if you stop the process the system would not be harmed, but you
>> will miss
>> the find functionality.
>> gk
>>
>> Skype: gkourtev
>>

>> On Sunday 03 January 2016 19:09:22 Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks:
>>>
>>> I have a process that at times consumes a HUGE amount of resources
>>> called baloo_file.  For the fun of it, I tried killing the thread today,
>>> and it killed without any visible effects on the system.  Can someone
>>> please fill me in on what it is and what it does, and why I would want
>>> it on my system.  At times, it is consuming up to 97% of my processor
>>> count
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> TIM

David

Email   |  david at hackbinary.com

I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising
than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is
not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
 - J.B.S. Haldane