Windows 10 upgrade

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Apr 28 00:16:21 UTC 2016

I have had two different experiences upgrading to Windows 10: In one
case, I had Win 8.2 on sda1 and PCLOS on sda5 and sda6. When I did the
upgrade, I found that Windows had

made the two Linux partitions into one big  unallocated one! For some
reason, it left the swap partition (sda8) alone.  On another machine, It
upgraded Win7 to Win 10 without damaging the

Linux partitions. Of course I had to recreate the dual-boot login.
Finally, altho I very seldom boot into Windows, I was trying to get a
B-size scanner to work, so I tried installing what I

believed was the proper driver for it in Windows, and then found out
that I could no longer use the LAN, gt mail, etc. I tried very hard to
repair Windows, but I could not, and the

downloaded Windows disk which I tried to install would not, altho it
tried to more or less of an extent on several attempts. As a result i no
longer have any way of running Windows 10

on that machine, and probably could not reinstall any earlier version,
because they were all upgrades, one at a time, over the years, from XP,
and MS will not let you do a fresh install

of an upgraded system that you might have on a disk. So, unless I want
to buy a new Windows disk, I will have no Windows on that machine. Not
only that, I was advised on a forum that a

possible reason that Win 10 would not reinstall is that the drivers in
it are not compatible with my 5-year-old MOBO.  (When it was upgrading,
the old drivers were still in place.) So even if

I bought a new Windows, it might not install!

You have been warned.

--doug