Please don't leave or fork Kubuntu

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:41:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:03 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/05/2015 23:05, Glenn Holmer wrote:
>> On 05/28/2015 01:43 AM, O. Sinclair wrote:
>>> I don't think I need to quote any background information about what
>>> has developed "all over the internet" the last couple of days.
>>>
>>> What I sincerely hope is that those of you, users or
>>> developers/maintainers, who feel like giving up on Kubuntu the distro
>>> and community reconsider that decision.
>>
>> This is very interesting to me. I've been a Linux user since 1995 when I
>> started with Slackware. I switched to (as it was then called) S.u.S.E.
>> in 1998, when I first became a KDE user. When KDE 4 came out about ten
>> years later, I switched to Ubuntu and had a brief but passionate
>> dalliance with GNOME 2, but as KDE 4 matured, I discovered Kubuntu and
>> my beloved KDE and I were reunited. Since then, however, I've become
>> increasingly concerned by Ubuntu's perceived "my way or the highway"
>> attitude, and the ultimate result was that I switched to Fedora's KDE
>> spin this week when 22 was released. Such impeccable timing!
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, it would be a good idea if the brains behind
>> Kubuntu jumped ship and created *a new distro* based on Debian (but
>> updated more frequently). A pure, flagship KDE distribution, with all
>> the ease of use of Ubuntu, but no influence from or interference by
>> anyone else. It would be a thing of beauty and I'd switch to it at the
>> first release.
>>
> Have a look at Tanglu or Chakra in that case. However I feel personally
> that the "ecosystem" that is *buntu is an advantage not to be given up
> lightly. I hope that the issues can be sorted out, I hope Scott
> Kitterman will change his mind, I hope that Ubuntu CC and Mark will step
> back from their position.
>
> all the best,
> Sinclair

Hi folks, I'm one of your friendly local Kubuntu Council members. This
past week or so has been very stressful, but we are united, and
hopeful and stronger than ever. Unless we are forced out, we're not
going anywhere.

As Sinclair says, the Ubuntu community and ecosystem are home. The
current problem, we hope, will come to a peaceful and successful end.
Since Jonathan Riddell never claimed leadership, he has nothing to
step down from. He remains a valued member of your Kubuntu Council;
elected by you Kubuntu Members [1] just like the rest of us [2].

All the best,

Valorie

1. https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/Membership
2. https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-council/+members