Please don't leave or fork Kubuntu

Glenn Holmer shadowm at lyonlabs.org
Thu May 28 21:05:08 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 01:43 AM, O. Sinclair wrote:
> I don't think I need to quote any background information about what
> has developed "all over the internet" the last couple of days.
>
> What I sincerely hope is that those of you, users or
> developers/maintainers, who feel like giving up on Kubuntu the distro
> and community reconsider that decision.

This is very interesting to me. I've been a Linux user since 1995 when I
started with Slackware. I switched to (as it was then called) S.u.S.E.
in 1998, when I first became a KDE user. When KDE 4 came out about ten
years later, I switched to Ubuntu and had a brief but passionate
dalliance with GNOME 2, but as KDE 4 matured, I discovered Kubuntu and
my beloved KDE and I were reunited. Since then, however, I've become
increasingly concerned by Ubuntu's perceived "my way or the highway"
attitude, and the ultimate result was that I switched to Fedora's KDE
spin this week when 22 was released. Such impeccable timing!

As far as I'm concerned, it would be a good idea if the brains behind
Kubuntu jumped ship and created *a new distro* based on Debian (but
updated more frequently). A pure, flagship KDE distribution, with all
the ease of use of Ubuntu, but no influence from or interference by
anyone else. It would be a thing of beauty and I'd switch to it at the
first release.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)