Please don't leave or fork Kubuntu

Steve Riley steve at rileyz.net
Thu May 28 16:36:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-28 at 08:43:38, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see any benefits in "going Debian" or other suggestions I have
> seen on the net.

Numerous benefits exist for rebasing on Debian.

Kubuntu strives to be as pure of a KDE distribution as practicable. This means that some of what Canonical/Ubuntu develops is unnecessary for us. LightDM, Unity, Mir, Compiz, Scopes/Lenses, and Snappy come to mind, of course. Kubuntu packaging work has largely transitioned from Launchpad to Debian's Alioth (and then just copied to Launchpad). All that we rely on is the core of Ubuntu, which is essentially Debian.

Rebasing on Debian would eliminate unnecessary distraction and the bitter politics that continually accrete around Canonical/Ubuntu.

...Steve