No sshd as of the latest update

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 10:53:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015 11:08:37 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 09:22 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> > On my 15.04 partition there is still this section in
>> > "/etc/init.d/ssh"
>
>> Perhaps Ubuntu gives a choice and this is only used by upstart, but
>> ignored when using systemd?
>
>Good point! I changed the script to write a file in /tmp when it
>starts and that file isn't there after a reboot, so seems not to be
>used. Then I have no idea, how sshd gets started with systemd and
>where the directory should be created.

/tmp nowadays usually is also a tmpfs, IOW just inside the RAM and not
on the hard disk, so better write to /var/log .

I would make the first executed line of the script

  echo $(date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") >> /var/log/test-log-file.log

or as described before, write the exit status of mkdir and chmod to a
log file.

But before doing this, regarding
http://packages.ubuntu.com/vivid/amd64/openssh-server/filelist I suspect
/etc/init.d/ssh likely needs to be enabled by

  sudo systemctl enable ssh.service

it then likely starts automatically at startup and it likely could be
started manually by

  sudo systemctl start ssh.service

btw.

  cat /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service

does show what it does start.

--
It only looks like a tape-recorder. It's actually a pen.
So you can write with it and no one will know.