No sshd as of the latest update

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 21 07:22:06 UTC 2015

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote on 05/20/2015 01:17 PM:
> > D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> I updated my one remaining Kubuntu machine this morning with the
> >> latest official updates.
> >
> > Could you perhaps specify which Kubuntu release you're talking
> > about?
>
> I'm sorry. I thought that "latest" was sufficiently specific. I'm
> talking about 15.04.

I'm sorry as well - with update I thought you meant updating the
existing release but you were referring to a release update…

> shack:/var/log# grep ssh syslog | head
>
> May 20 11:43:35 shack kernel: [   43.773168] systemd[1]: ssh.service:
> main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
> May 20 11:43:35 shack kernel: [   43.773940] systemd[1]: Unit
> ssh.service entered failed state.

> shack:/var/log# grep sshd syslog | head
>
> May 20 12:30:17 shack sshd[2207]: Missing privilege separation
> directory: /var/run/sshd

> > You should run "start ssh" (unless you are using 15.04 - I don't
> > know
> > which command should be used with systemd). That command would
> > create
> > the directory "/var/run/sshd" if necessary.
>
> I have created the /var/run/sshd directory manually, and now
> /usr/bin/sshd executes when started manually; I'll try to boot the
> machine when it's not needed and see if sshd now starts properly at
> boot time as well.

It has been mentioned already that you created /var/run/sshd in memory
only. That's why the init script used to create the directory. On my
15.04 partition there is still this section in "/etc/init.d/ssh":

check_privsep_dir() {
    # Create the PrivSep empty dir if necessary
    if [ ! -d /var/run/sshd ]; then
        mkdir /var/run/sshd
        chmod 0755 /var/run/sshd
    fi
}

This should create the missing directory if necessary. Maybe your
installation of sshd is broken? I would suggest to reinstall the
openssh-server package.

BTW: The ssh server is a common part of all *Ubuntu flavours. Therefore
it might be useful to also ask on the ubuntu-users list. I think there
are several people who are already familiar with systemd.

Nils