No sshd as of the latest update

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed May 20 19:17:42 UTC 2015

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I updated my one remaining Kubuntu machine this morning with the
> latest official updates.

Could you perhaps specify which Kubuntu release you're talking about?

> Now I can no longer ssh into the machine. shhd worked fine prior
> applying these updates.
>
> Errors during startup no longer seem to be written to
> /var/log/messages; where do I go to find some kind of indication as
> to why sshd didn't start?

The messages file has not been used for several years. Try
"/var/log/syslog" instead.

> I tried, in desperation, logging in at the console (which is very
> inconvenient -- this machine has, for years, been accessed almost
> always by ssh) and executing /usr/sbin/sshd. But that gave me this
> error message: Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd
> In 15+ years of running Linux, I've never seen a message like that
> before.

You should run "start ssh" (unless you are using 15.04 - I don't know
which command should be used with systemd). That command would create
the directory "/var/run/sshd" if necessary.

Nils