[15.04 64Bit]-Stop Complaining About It...

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 10:45:55 UTC 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015 06:02:12 -0400, Charles T. Bell wrote:

>On 05/16/2015 05:50 PM, David Lang wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 May 2015, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

>* * * * SNIP! * * * *
>>
>> I'm not after 'stability' if it's defined as sticking without
>> upgrades fro two years. But I do want 'working' and right now Plasma
>> 5.3 (even
>
>I don't know where you get the idea there are NO upgrades for LTS
>for two years.  I have been sticking with LTS for a short while and
>when I do: apt-get dist-upgrade
>I get upgrades [snip]

"When Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months, that
release is largely frozen in time. While the software that is part of
that release will get bug fixes and security patches, new major
releases of software and the new features that come with them will not
be available." - from the backports link below

Debian and Ubuntu are release model distros, with all advantages and
disadvantages caused by this kind of policy.

Backports and PPAs might provide upgrades needed by some users.

"Backports offers a way to selectively provide newer versions of
software for older Ubuntu releases." -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Backports and PPAs in combination with pinning might be a solution,
also take care about the apt-get man page regarding dist-upgrade vs
upgrade and it never harms to read release notes and take a look at
dependencies.

"upgrade
        upgrade is used to install the newest versions of
        packages currently installed on the system from the sources
        enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently
        installed with new versions available are retrieved and
        upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed
        packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved
        and installed. New versions of currently installed packages
        that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of
        another package will be left at their current version. An
        update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new
        versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
       dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of
       upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with
       new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict
       resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most
       important packages at the expense of less important ones if
       necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some
       packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of
       locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also
       apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general
       settings for individual packages." -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/utopic/man8/apt-get.8.html

It never harms to backup userspace, not only /home.