[15.04 64Bit]-Stop Complaining About It...

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat May 16 21:50:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, 16 May 2015, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

>>> I'm quite satisfied with Kubuntu 14.10. But, as I read there are still
>>> many issues to solve with Plasma 5, I prefer to stay with my 14.10
>>> installation, and wait for some months.
>>>
>>> Ciao
>
> This is why we support LTS for so long -- so people who need stability
> can HAVE that.

I'm not after 'stability' if it's defined as sticking without upgrades fro two
years. But I do want 'working' and right now Plasma 5.3 (even with the PPA) is
missing some critical items. I'm willing to put up with a little breakage (I
typically upgrade to the next kubuntu release a month or so before it's
official release date. I've been running Linux full time since 1996. But I
disagree that normal Kubuntu releases are not for people who want stability and
should be treated as something risky. If you push everyone to only use the LTS
releases, then when they upgrade and run into problems, the response is going to
be "we changed that almost two years ago, you should have reported the problem
sooner"

loosing all settings when upgrading is really annoying, but it's a one-time
annoyance.

the fact that I can't connect or disconnect monitors without rebooting is a much
more severe problem. Frankly, I don't understand why this wasn't a critical
blocking bug.

the fact that I can't start firefox on my personal laptop under kubuntu, but can
under lubuntu is a critical issue that forces me to not use kubuntu on that
machine. This probably isn't a bug in just one package, but an interaction of a
bunch of different things combined with the fact that firefox uses a lot of
resources on my system.

>> I am 100 with you on this Valter - this to me being a core of this
>> discussion: why jump to Plasma5 when it was obvious it was going to be
>> problematic?
>
> We tested, and it was NOT problematic, merely missing a few bits.

some bits I could see, but not being able to connect a monitor/projector without
having to reboot?

>> So a Plasma5.5 or so will hopefully do the trick
>
> Everyone should use the tools that please them, and help them do what
> they want. If it is Windows, fine. Mac, great! If it is Kubuntu,
> welcome to the community where we all help one another out.
>
> We do not *ever* advocate every Kubuntu user to upgrade when they are
> happy with what they have. Plasma 5.3 is running very well for me.

This is problematic. Are you saying that you are going to keep supporting KDE4
forever, because people are happy with it? The comments here say that people are
ging to be forced to upgrade to 5 because there aren't resources to support
both.

so which is it?

David Lang