[15.04 64Bit]-Stop Complaining About It...

Girard Henri girardhenri at free.fr
Thu May 14 07:25:17 UTC 2015

Le 14/05/2015 06:38, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> On Wed, 13 May 2015 20:24:14 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> Hah.  Good one!  If you are unhappy with the mailing list go to a
>> windows mailing list.
> Nice reply :).
>
>> 1) All my settings are lost.  I have to redo my panels, windows,
>> shortcuts, etc.  Most of the features are still there, but no attempt
>> was made to translate them from KDE 4 to KDE 5.  Bad form!
> Actually it is not a bad form. Updates within a major release of
> software aren't allowed to break something and they have to be backwards
> compatible. The nature of updating to another major release is that
> things could break. The only exception is the kernel, no upgrades of a
> vanilla kernel should break something. However, Xfce4 for example
> breaks things within a major release. Linus Torvalds banned a coder
> from the systemd/udev crowed from the kernel development, because he
> completely doesn't care about it.
>
> If possible I try to use software based on GTK2 instead of GTK3 or Qt
> based software. If I use Qt based software, then if possible <= Qt4.
> Whatever WM/DE I want to use, I want to be able to at least halfway
> choose font sizes. There are qtconfig-qt3 and qtconfig-qt4, but there's
> no qtconfig-qt5. This is ivory-towered, because Linux userspace does
> offer choices, we users should be able to configer userspace using GTK‮
> and Qt software to our needs, whatever WM/DE we're using.
>
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu offers LTS. Rolling releases such as Arch offer the user
> to compile software against outdated libs.
>
> Users who want to keep their work flow as long as possible and who don't
> want to buy new hard ware again and again should care about using
> software that does allow this. I prefer using WMs without a DE, to get
> rid of the DE issues. Nowadays the most secure way to go seems to use
> GTK2 based WMs in addition with a selection of software from DEs.
>
> 2 Cents
I like kubuntu but I don't use it... I prefer mate-desktop environment.
I tried several time to install KDE but each time after a while it broke.
I am trying w10 (for fun ?... Maybe to see if it's better than the
others. But I am very pleased with ubuntu. I tried to change because
sometimes I couldn't find some apps, ( but usually after compiling I got
it), but other distros have more disavantages. I guess KDE5 will be
usable for me in few years. If I had to choose between windows and KDE I
would choose the last. I remenber I started KDE in 1995, what a joy when
succeding compiling kdeditor 1 tutorial from richard moore ??
Just a remenbering...
Happy KDE