Support Help...

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 14:44:01 UTC 2015

No, I'm saying the router isn't configured to give him a public address. I believe we left it NAT'd so it'd have to get through a firewall and map to a private network. And that's assuming their ISP provides them a public IP address beyond the modem by default. (AT&T does not, unless you configure the modem specifically do to so.)
I've got a public internet server[1], I may try giving him an SSH login to it with a reverse-proxy to a local SSH on the same command-line so I can login via an SSH channel....but I'm not sure he has SSHd installed on his laptop either (not likely); nor is he (or my mom) technical enough to walk through the process of doing so.

Probably the better solution is to get OpenVPN running on the public server, and then setting them up with that next time I see them; and ensuring he has SSHd installed on his laptop with a simple script he can run to enable/disable the firewall access for it (or may be that's part of the OpenVPN client configuration for him).

Ben