Wrestling with Kubuntu 15.04? Backup your data, repartition your computer and install 14.04 or 14.10 first.

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon May 11 04:29:23 UTC 2015

On 10/05/2015 21:16, Bas G. Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>

> At this forum, I see many people wrestling with Kubuntu 15.04. This is
> perfectly logic, because it is - as far as I know- the first version of
> Kubuntu along with one of the first versions of KDE 5. The pitfalls and
> glitches I have been reading about, remind me of similar problems at the
> time of the introduction of KDE 4 - as far as I remember, somewhere in
> 2008 or 2009. Those problem reports have confirmed that I have made a
> good, practical decision: for the time being, I keep using my
> 'all-time-high' favourite Kubuntu 14.04 LTS along with the mature and
> reliable KDE 4.13 as a primary system - for all the professional
> production work under time pressure, I am using a few ppa-repositories
> to keep my system practical and up-to-date. The present version of
> Kubuntu 15.04 might work if you are a 5 star techwizzkid - though I have
> collected some Linux experience ever since 2007, I am not.
>

> Some people at this forum ask how one can 'downgrade' from 15.04 to
> 14.10. As far as I know, something like that is nearly not possible. But
> even if it would be possible, it is simply not a good idea. If you are
> wrestling with a newly installed 15.04 configuration, consider acting in
> the way summarised below.
>

> Step 1.
>
> =====
>
> Backup all your data to an external HD, if you have not yet done so.
>

> Step 2.
>
> ======
>
> For safety, backup ALL your data again at a 2nd external HD.
>

> Step 3.
>
> ======
>
> Buy a few rewritable DVD's or a good, at at least 35 GB external USB stick.
>

> Step 4.
>
> =====
>
> If you prefer to work with DVD's, buy a reliable external DVD writer.
>

> Step 5.
>
> =====
>
> 'Burn' 'system rescue cd' iso to a DVD: http://www.sysresccd.org/
>

> Step 5a.
>
> ======
>
> Or transform your USB stick to a bootable sysrescue iso.
>

> Step 6.
>
> ======
>
> Start 'system rescue CD' from the DVD or USB stick.
>

> Step 7.
>
> =====
>
> Switch to the graphical mode from 'system rescue cd'.
>

> Step 8.
>
> =====
>
> Use Gparted to partition your internal hard disk(s) to at lest 3 or 4
> partitions.
>

> Step 9.
>
> =====
>
> You want to maintain a windows-partition? Than you'll need at least 4
> partitions: Windows (>25 GB, sda1), Kubuntu 14.04 or 14.10 (>50 GB,
> sda2), SWAP (4 GB, immediately after the primary system), a spare
> partition (25 GB at SDB) with whatever name you like and -finally-
> /Data/ - at the remainder of the internal HD.

> [...]
Thanks for that instruction. A somewhat simpler way, if you have an
external backup disk or even a network one, is to download Clonezilla at
www.clonezilla.org.

then put it on either a CD or a usb flash (I use an old 512 Mb flash
myself), boot from that and backup either your whole disk or your
partitions. As I have partitions I regularly backup my /(root) and my
/home.

"Downgrading" is then a breeze, just fire up with Clonezilla and your
backup device and go back to where you were before it messed up.

Kind regards,
Sinclair