Downloader Question

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu May 7 07:21:46 UTC 2015

Package managers, as their name says, are for installing packages.
Part of those packages is the source.

You are certainly correct that tarballs aren't downloadable with
package managers, but that would include apt, apt-get, etc.

Tarballs are what packages are built from, and can also be compiled by
the user. You would need to download that tarball from wherever the
maintainer put it - not from the Ubuntu archives. The tarballs that
Kubuntu packagers download and package usually come from KDE.

I've downloaded and built (compiled) from tarballs for testing. That
process has nothing to do with package managers.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez