Can I get my desktop back in 15.04?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu May 7 03:11:12 UTC 2015

On May 3, 2015 2:56 PM, "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Hirsch wrote on 04/30/2015 10:57 PM:
>

> > So are you not running plasma 5?  I can't get plasma 5 to pay any
> > attention to my KDE 4 settings.
>
> I never saw any response to help you with this
>
> Did you ever succeed?

I haven't found a way to get my settings back, no.

OTOH, I did find that KDE5 worked much better that KDE4 when Kubuntu first
adopted it.  In fact, it seems significantly faster than KDE4, which is
nice.  But losing all my configurations, shortcuts, etc is really annoying.

> I was furious to discover that the "upgrade" did this, and if there's
some way
> to recover my settings, I'd sure like to know about it. At the very least
> warning that this was going to happen would have been in order.

Yes, that was unconscionable.   I use Kubuntu because, like Ubuntu, it is a
well maintained, desktop-oriented distribution that just works.  I don't
expect it to destroy my desktop on upgrade.  And if they really needed to
destroy it, why was there no warning?  Like "don't upgrade yet if you don't
want to rebuild your environment as we haven't yet built a to that would
transfer your setup."

Speaking of which, most of my old settings have direct analogs in KDE5, so
it seems like translating settings should be quite possible.  Is anyone
working on that?

Michael