Can I get my desktop back in 15.04?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:12:04 UTC 2015

On 06/05/2015 08:50, David Lang wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2015, O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> I don't know what you mean by "kubuntu forums". This reflector is
>>> hosted on ubuntu.com, and its purpose is stated to be "Kubuntu Help
>>> and...." That would seem to indicate that it's the right place to
>>> get help.
>>>
>>> This may well all be moot insofar as I am concerned, though; After
>>> nine years I think I'm done with Kubuntu and will switch to
>>> something less bleeding-edge.
>>
>> Why not stay on 14.10? That is what I plan to do until Plasma5 matures
>
> because not everything that changes from 14.10 to 15.04 is KDE, and
> having to loose all those other advantages to avoid the regressions in
> KDE is very limiting.
>
> I also lost all my settings. Worse, on my laptop (lenovo T61 with 8G of
> ram), I can't start firefox from KDE, it causes something to crash and I
> end up back at the login screen.
>
> so for now, I'm running a different desktop. I'd like to use KDE, but I
> can't do so if I can't run firefox.
>
> David Lang

Well, that is what I stated: if you want more recent versions of
software or kernel there is almost always a ppa for that. I can use
kernel 4.0, latest Libreoffice and so on while staying on KDE4. And
actually mostly use kernel 4.12 while on 14.10 (kernel 3.16.x) as it
works better with my hardware. If there is something *buntu is good at
it is freedom of choice