Make grub show its menu?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon May 4 14:27:05 UTC 2015

On Monday 04 May 2015 04:40:50 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 00:04 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I need to stop grub from sailing right by it because it needs ro run
> > memtest+ overnight as I have a crash-o-matic machine.
>
> Don't run memtest from Debian/Ubuntu, use the bootable ISO from
> http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and run it from a DVD or CD. I
> experienced memtest provided by Debian and Ubuntu always as broken.
> Machines that never cause issues fail memtest from Debian and Ubuntu,
> while the same machines pass the same version of memtest, when using
> it from http://www.memtest.org/ . False positives aren't helpful.

I'd say!

It took some experimentation, but I finally found an install dvd that did
show me a grub screen, the 5th install disk I tried, a recent manjaro
release, so memtest is currently running, finally.  What a cast iron
pain in the ass this has been.

Thanks Ralf.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)