Plasma anyone?

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Tue Mar 31 21:41:15 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 05:34:40 PM Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On 03/31/2015 05:14 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 04:56:20 PM Bruce Marshall wrote:
> >> Are you running a 64bit machine??    Can't believe everything works for
> >> you.....
> >
> > And I am running a pre-release, on all my systems too ;)
> > 64 bit it is not an issue, anymore (there are even small distros that are
> > not releasing 32 bit versions these days).
>
> True but I was thinking that packing issues might be different between
> 64 and 32 bit.
There are, but 64 bit is the dominant arch, and 64 bit has the most eyeballs
on it.

> >> I did a fresh install also.....   and when trying synaptic from either
> >> the menu or the panel I get:
> >>
> >> KDEInit could not launch 'ksystraycmd':
> >>
> >> Could not open library
> >> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd'.
> >>
> >> Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd:
> >> (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_ksystraycmd.so: cannot open
> >> shared object file: No such file or directory)
> >
> > Are   you using Vivid 15.04, or are  you using 14.10 and the now
> > deprecated
> > plasma-next ppa's?Plamsa 5 in 14.10 is very broken in a number of places,
> > and has not seen updates since some that broke many desktops were pulled.
> > They don't have the people to work on this for both vivid and utopic.
> > The best plasma5 experience is in 15.04, imnsho, and that includes all
> > distros. (I may be biased!)
>
> Using 15.04  beta as announced a week ago.
The only suggestion I can make is to stay up to date as often as  you can,
there are still many updates coming in throughout the day as K(U)buntu are
buttoning things down. These may bring fixes, but may bring in temporary bug,
too.

--
Clay Weber