Fresh installation - no boot menu

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 20 10:22:49 UTC 2015

Thank you for reading this.

I've installed Kubuntu on a new 64 bit desktop today. This time I
decided to use the first installation option (automatically use the
remaining space left by Windows 7) instead on the manual option. I have
a 2TB drive and left approximately 600GB for Windows. It's been a long
hot day and I have two problems:

1. A boot menu wasn't created so the computer boots straight into
Kubuntu. Dolphin shows that the Windows partition is still intact. I
know that there's a Grub rebuilding option but I've forgotten the
command. It's still 40 degrees C at 8:15 PM and both machine and human
are too hot to continue.

2. df shows unfamiliar partitions. I'm more used to /, /usr, /usr/local
and /home. How should I create a usr/local partition? And what happens
if I want to do a fresh install in the future. I won't be able to
protect my /home directory.

--
Regards,
Phil