shutdown option gone

Thomas nyuwa at hb.tp1.jp
Sun Mar 1 03:51:52 UTC 2015

On 2015/02/28 20:01, Charles T. Bell wrote:

> On 02/28/2015 05:23 AM, Thomas wrote:
>> Again me.
>> When I tried to shutdown the computer to go home, I noticed that there
>> is no "shutdown option" any longer.
>> I believe, it has been there before.
>>
>> When I click on that "Kickoff" thing and then on "Leave", I get:
>> 1)    Lock out (end session)
>> 2)    Lock (lock screen)
>> 3)    Switch user
>>
>> That's it.
>> No restart or shutdown option.
>> Pressing Crtl-Alt-Delete also offer ONLY
>> 1)    Lock out
>> 2)    Cancel
>>
>> So, if I want to shut the computer down ... the only choice I have is
>> cut the power.
>> THAT cannot be normal!
>> (I did that manual update/upgrade thing. It did/does not change anything).
>>
>> Without me using or changing anything on this computer LOTS of things go
>> wrong.
>> This or similar things have happened a million times already in the past.
>> With all "flavors" of linux I have tried so far ...
>>
>> Please! There must be ways/trick to make it run and KEEP running.
>> I am desperately trying to get away from Microsoft and switch to linus,
>> but this kind of behavior makes it VERY difficult.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Thomas
>>

> I am curious, did you not try Alt-F2 and enter?
> sudo shutdown -r now
>
> It won't replace the reboot button, but it should allow
> you to reboot without hitting the power button.
> sudo shutdown -P now
>
> Should allow you to shutdown completely without having to power down.

Thank you.
But ... Alt+F2 brings something up, that calls itself "Quicksand". Some
form of search function and I do not think I assigned that shortcut key.
The sudo acrobatics DOES allow to restart and shutdown the computer,
BUT ... it DOES NOT explain why the shutdown option has disappeared from
the menu.

ALL flavors/versions of linux I have ever seen, in fact ALL
computers/OSs I have ever seen, HAVE a shutdown button somewhere.
THIS particular computer with THIS particular kubuntu installed had it too.
Having to type half a novel just to shut the computer down is unacceptable.

Since it was there before (the same applies to the "disappeared power
management"), I want to know how to get it back.
The computer WAS working when I "used" it the last time (not yesterday).
So, has linux something SIMPLE to offer, that returns the machine to the
state/date when it was known to work properly?

I have encountered this kind of situation MANY times in the past and it
usually means, the whole thing must be reinstalled (if that does any
good ...)
unless you are someone with a degree in computer science and can handle
heavy programming.

Thomas