KDE ?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 30 20:43:17 UTC 2015

Billie Walsh composed on 2015-06-30 13:30 (UTC-0500):

> Dale Trombley wrote:

>> I don't trust ubuntu anymore so I may jump ship even if not forced to.
>> Love Love Love kubuntu, wish canonical would quite screwing with it so.

Mageia 5 is a good candidate, as it is a fresh release that includes KDE4 and
isn't likely to get retrograded via updates to Plasma 5.

openSUSE 13.2, released last November, has KDE4, but also through its build
service offers the opportunity to also have Plasma 5 side by side with KDE4
(without need to reinstall). It also offers the opportunity to have TDE side
by side KDE4, Plasma 5, Gnome and other DEs, proviing an opportunity to spend
more time with various DEs without having to do any new installations or use
live media.

Both Mageia and openSUSE, for licensing reasons, have multimedia handicaps in
their GA release configurations, but these are easily overcome via optional
repos after initial installation is complete.

> Why are people in such a hurry to jump ship.

Pie in the sky upstreams not unusually have little idea the consequences of
what they have done, and haven't yet done, which can result in reasons for
jumping at any point. e.g. KDE 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.x/... (which resulted in the TDE
fork of KDE3) and now the latest Plasma 5 incarnation. There are too many
things missing in Plasma 5 that worked well and were depended on by users of
the more recent KDE 4 incarnations.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/