Are there plans to drop X? - Was: Kubuntu 14.10 end of life

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Jul 27 01:10:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:49:04 +0200, Jörn Schönyan wrote:
>> The benefits? Plasma 5 is way faster (so that fixed complains in the
>> past, KDE software would be too slow/heavy) and it paves the way for
>> Wayland (but I guess that is the next thing you will complain about)
>
> "Is Ubuntu dropping X?
>
> No, X will be retained for backwards compatibility." -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland
>
> "In summary, we have not chosen Wayland/Weston as our basis for
> delivering a next-generation user experience as it does not fulfill our
> requirements completely. More to this, with our protocol- and
> platform-agnostic approach, we can make sure that we reach our goal of
> a consistent and beautiful user experience across platforms and device
> form factors. However, Wayland support could be added either by
> providing a Wayland-specific frontend implementation for our display
> server or by providing a client-side implementation of libwayland that
> ultimately talks to Mir. " -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir/Spec#Why_Not_Wayland_.2BAC8_Weston.3F
>

> It's hard to find clear statments about Wayland on Ubuntu that are
> up-to-date, but I suspect that even Ubuntu won't drop X, since Wayland
> doesn't provide everything X does provide.

Given that Canonical is working on Mir, not Wayland, I really would be surprised
if they switched and forced everything to Wayland.

> Back to the topic: Are there plans to drop X, or why did you mention it?

The Wayland advocates keep saying that Wayland is the future and is far better
than anything else. I have yet to see any real evidence that it's 'far better'
for the user (othe than the Pi example where they used accelerated Wayland vs
unaccelerated X)

David Lang