Output to Samsung TV

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Sun Jan 18 04:43:08 UTC 2015

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 11:23:17 PM Doug wrote:
> On 01/17/2015 09:55 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Doug composed on 2015-01-17 19:33 (UTC-0500):
> >> Please tell us the name and model number of your video card. Or look up
> >> the specs yourself and let us know what you find.>
> > Peter's OP told us
> >
> > 	M5A78L-M/USB3
> >
> > which via Google leads to
> >
> > 	http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/
> >
> > which says he has on the motherboard video
> >
> > 	Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 GPU
> >
> > unless he's installed an accessory card, and in audio description
> >
> > 	high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output and jack-detect
> >
> > Maybe jack-detect interferes with getting audio onto the HDMI output if
> > not
> > running Windows? As HD 3000 is a generic type, he should post audio device
> > output from lspci and/or hwinfo --sound if he'd like better than his
> > current solution. Being of the onboard type, it would not surprise me if
> > his already found solution turns out to be the only possible one.
>
> I'm not familiar with jack detect. Looking up the mobo and the specs, it
> looked like only the -700 version had HDMI, but looking at a photo of the
> board, there's an HDMI jack, as well as a DVI. The specs I saw did not
> mention the HDMI characteristics. Like another reponder, I would think that
> if a board has an HDMI jack, then full HDMI _ought_ to be provided.
>
> What happens if you disconnect the local video monitor and the analog sound
> outputs? Can you then get sound out of the TV? While the local sound and
> video are disconnected, run the sound test routines from the command line,
> and see if you ever get sound on the TV. If so, then the question is how to
> get sound from both sound processors? I only know of PulseAudio, as I
> mentioned previously. If not, then I think the HDMI output is not a true
> HDMI, or is faulty.
>
> I don't know if it's possible to query ASUS about the properties of the HDMI
> connector, but if so, then do so. If you bought and installed the mobo
> yourself, you should have a booklet on it, and it may give more specs than
> I found on Google.
>
> Good luck!
>
> BTW: When I finally got the sound working on both systems, I discovered
> something that I should really have known anyway: the sound out of the TV
> is _terrible_! I have reasonable fidelity at the computer, but sure not at
> the TV. I have connected an outboard amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers
> to the TV audio output jack! So if you're going to watch and listen to
> musical performances, be warned!
>
> --doug

It should be fairy simple to test if hdmi audio is working:
In System Settings, go th the Multimedia section, and look at the Device
Preferences tab.  Check out the categories on the left pane, see if when
selecting one (if not already selected) there is displayed in the right window
an audio device that is listed with hdmi in the name. Simply  click on that,
then hit the "test" button and see if a sample sound is played. If you like
what you hear, you can move that device up (higher in preference) in all the
relevant categories on the left side to make it the default.

You can play with the audio hardware setup tab,  but I think it is quicker and
you don't have to select and enable and fiddle with things to see,um, hear, if
sound is coming from the hdmi.

A small thing to check is to run alsamixer from the terminal, and make sure
that the hdmi device is  not muted or any volumes turned down too low ( hit
the f6 key to select different devices). The muting is common enough to
warrant a quick check.

--
Clay Weber
https://kubuntuforums.net