Output to Samsung TV

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Jan 17 15:02:36 UTC 2015

On 01/17/2015 07:20 AM, peter maddison wrote:
> I hope somebody can help me with this problem.
>
> I have an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 which has 3 video outputs; 1 VGA , 1 DVI
> & 1 HDMI. My monitor is connected via the VGA.
> What I am trying to do is connect my 51" Samsung Series 4
> (PS51E450A1W) via the HDMI.
> I have done that by using a HDMI cable, that was the easy part. The
> hard part is SOUND.
>
> How do I get sound to the TV.
> I have tried using the standard audio output which you connect the
> speakers to but that does not work.
> Yes, there is a SPDIF output next to the HDMI output on the MoBo BUT
> there is NO SPDIF INPUT on the TV, so HOW do I get sound to the TV???
>
> With my previous MoBo, ASUS M3A76CM, I did have it connected to the TV
> via the DVI to HDMI. How I got the sound to the TV was by using the
> output which is normally used for the speakers.
>
> I did buy a SPDIF cable before I checked the TV to see that there is
> ONLY SPDIF OUTPUT. I have seen something on eBay
> <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-Digital-to-RCA-L-R-Analog-Audio-Converter-with-3-5mm-Jack-/301489588581?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item46322e0965>
> to convert SPDIF digital to analog but want to be sure that it will
> work connecting to the audio in next to the HDMI input on the TV.
>
> Thanks
> Pete

The HDMI standard includes audio.

The issue becomes does your computer comply with that part of the
standard or is there possibly a setting somewhere that turns it on. I
would assume that if the computer has the HDMI output it most likely
supports audio so I would look for a setting somewhere. But, one should
never assume anything.

--
“Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.” - Joan Rivers