Installed 14.10 64Bit - On Boot I Get A Black Screen?

Jörn Schönyan joern.schoenyan at web.de
Wed Jan 7 14:48:42 UTC 2015

On Mittwoch, 7. Januar 2015 15:31:33 CET, Jesse Palser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I installed Kubuntu 14.10 64Bit onto the following desktop
> computer system:
> - AMD FX 3.5GHz 8-Core C.P.U.
> - AMD Radeon HD 7870 PCIe 2GB GDDR5 Graphic Adapter
> - 32GB DDR3 RAM
Sorry Jesse, I messed that a bit up - it is not a hybrid system, I thought
you were talking about a notebook.
> This is a new install of Kubuntu onto above desktop from DVD.
> The install is successful, but after reboot I get a black
> screen and the monitor turns off?
> The weird thing is if I cold boot I get the black screen, but
> if I press reset I then get a menu and can boot into O.S.?
I'm a bit in a hurry right now, so I can only give you some hints:

Use the boot option nomodeset or xforcevesa to boot to the desktop. Then
manually install the latest driver from AMD (they call it Omega). That
should be enough to get it working. Good luck!
> Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
>
> Jesse

Jörn