nVidia/AMD - Proprietary/Open-Source Drivers?

Wed Jan 7 13:09:47 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 07:04 AM, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 01/07/2015 05:51 AM, Jesse Palser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Kubuntu 14.04 L.T.S. 64Bit onto two different desktops.
>> I am confused about proprietary and open-source display drivers.
>>
>> On my Intel/nVidia desktop, after the O.S. is installed I am prompted
>> to install
>> nVidia proprietary display driver which I do and all is well.
>>
>> On my AMD/AMD desktop, after the O.S. is installed I am NOT prompted
>> to install
>> AMD proprietary display driver?
>>
>> So everything is good on the Intel/nVidia desktop, but not on AMD/AMD
>> desktop.
>> Are the AMD proprietary display drivers bad?
>> Are the open-source AMD drivers OK?
>> (can I play 3D Windows games under WINE?)
>>
>> Just a little confused, please advise...
>>
>> Jesse
>>

> I'm using the AMD Catalyst drivers. As far as I am concerned they are
> just fine and all is well. I'm not a gamer so I can't say what your
> experience might be in that arena.

Hi,

I tried the AMD proprietary display drivers, both offered by Kubuntu and
then the one on the AMD site.
Seems to work ok, but I have problem with transparency of panels and
windows?
(under any AMD proprietary display driver transparency effects are not
working?)

I would like to use AMD proprietary display driver but don't know how to
fix above problem with transparency?
Thanks!

Jesse