Wrong Desktop layout in Kubuntu 14.04

stephen stephanos at writeme.com
Fri Jan 2 14:46:28 UTC 2015

Dear All

I have just installed Kubuntu 14.04 onto a Dell Inspiron Mini.  It has
1GB of RAM and 150GB HDD.

The layout of the desktop is different to other installations I have
done on my other machines with 14.04.  The behaviour of applications is
different as well.

At the desktop, before any applications are opened:
1) the taskbar is now at the top.  It has a new entry in it called Menu
2) below this is a strip of four icons currently Firefox, Kmail, System
Settings, Dolphin
3) Below this as another strip of icons: Bookmarks, Contact, Multimedi,
Internet, Graphics, Education, Office
4) When I start an application the taskbar at the top is still present
and the normal menu items I would have associated with that application
are now accessible via the menu item in the taskbar.

I do not like this layout.  I did not chose this layout.  I do not want
this layout.  This laptop is for my niece who will be new to linux and I
intend to support her as I use 14.04 on several laptops and desktops.  I
do not have this layout on any of my others computers.  I do not intend
to have this layout on any of them either.

How do I change to the layout/behaviour I want and know.

Wait to hear

Stephanos
Impatiently of London, England