X memory leak with desktop effects enabled.

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Fri Jan 2 11:38:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:53 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/01/2015 18:28, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> > <ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com <mailto:ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> >

> >     I am confirming this only occurs with kwin, I used compiz and it
> >     didn't leak memory for 12 hours.  I tried replacing kwin with compiz
> >     on a kde session (it worked, mostly), had some compatibility issues,
> >     but I was able to use it for several hours.  I later tried "unity"
> >     session with compiz and many effects enabled: it worked just fine
> too.
> >
> >     Today I tried to wipe-clean my .kde directory, and refrain from
> >     changing any settings.  I am still observing and will update.
> >

> > It leaks memory, at a slower rate, but still X memory usage gets to over
> > 2GB in less than 12 hours.
> >
> I am not seeing this at all on my laptop with intel i5 cpu and intel
> graphics,

Same here, no leaks whatsoever with Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.14.2 with Intel on
board graphics on this Intel Core i7 laptop. Uptime is now around 90
hours, Kwin uses 14 Mb of shared memory, XOrg uses 65 Mb.

I strongly suggest you check on your installation, something must be wrong
somewhere.

Regards,
Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org