update manager not working

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 11:07:48 UTC 2015

On 02/28/2015 05:10 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On 2015/02/28 18:21, Bill Vance wrote:
>>

>> In a cli window, type:
>>
>>    apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade
>>
>> If you want it to do that regularly, you can add it to /etc/crontab.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Sat, 28 Feb 2015, Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening
>>> I have kubuntu 14.04, 64-bit version, installed on Dell Inspirion 1545.
>>> This is an "experimental machine", not for production.
>>>
>>> I have not used the computer for a few weeks, so I thought, it might
>>> be time for some "updates".
>>> * The update manager does NOT automatically notifiy me of the
>>> presence of available updates.
>>> * Started manually (once) it ran for a while and then closed down
>>> with some error which I could not take notes of quickly enough.
>>> * Restarted update manager -> it "runs" forever without doing anything.
>>>    -> ANY attempts of stopping it, logging out or shutting down using
>>> keyboard or mouse failed.
>>>    -> the ONLY way out was to cut the power supply.
>>>
>>> After a few hours I tried again.
>>> Now it tells me, the last update check is more than a week ago and I
>>> should click on "Check for updates".
>>> However, there is no such button; at least I cannot find it anywhere.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance of making kubuntu do what it is supposed to do?
>>> I mean WITHOUT all the extremely high-level computer skills that are
>>> usually suggested and way beyong my capabilities ...
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> Sorry, but what is a "cli window"?
>
> And, I have been struggling with linux (all sorts of) for years and
> "learned", that
> the "update manager", or whatever it is called in that particular brand
> of linux,
> is supposed to check for and install updates automatically.
> Or at least tell me, there are updates available.
>
> So, why is this thing not working?

The "cli" window ia also known as "Konsole" or console.
It stands for "command line interface".
You type the commands at the prompt.  The listed command will
do the job for you, although I usually have to add the "sudo" at the
beginning of each command and enter the "root" password.
Good luck and if you have more questions about commandline (cli) use
don't hesitate to google it, or, ask on this list.

Tom
--
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of
reason is like administering medicine to the dead."