shutdown option gone

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 11:01:36 UTC 2015

On 02/28/2015 05:23 AM, Thomas wrote:
> Again me.
> When I tried to shutdown the computer to go home, I noticed that there
> is no "shutdown option" any longer.
> I believe, it has been there before.
>
> When I click on that "Kickoff" thing and then on "Leave", I get:
> 1)    Lock out (end session)
> 2)    Lock (lock screen)
> 3)    Switch user
>
> That's it.
> No restart or shutdown option.
> Pressing Crtl-Alt-Delete also offer ONLY
> 1)    Lock out
> 2)    Cancel
>
> So, if I want to shut the computer down ... the only choice I have is
> cut the power.
> THAT cannot be normal!
> (I did that manual update/upgrade thing. It did/does not change anything).
>
> Without me using or changing anything on this computer LOTS of things go
> wrong.
> This or similar things have happened a million times already in the past.
> With all "flavors" of linux I have tried so far ...
>
> Please! There must be ways/trick to make it run and KEEP running.
> I am desperately trying to get away from Microsoft and switch to linus,
> but this kind of behavior makes it VERY difficult.
>
> Thank you.
> Thomas

I am curious, did you not try Alt-F2 and enter?
sudo shutdown -r now

It won't replace the reboot button, but it should allow
you to reboot without hitting the power button.
sudo shutdown -P now

Should allow you to shutdown completely without having to power down.

Tom
--
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use of
reason is like administering medicine to the dead."