Beginner's question: Are the Kubuntu-PPA's being in use?

Alan Dacey (grokit) grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Sun Dec 13 02:12:23 UTC 2015

You have them 'active'. If they are present in /etc/apt/sources.list.d on a Debian distro (like Kubuntu) then apt-get/apt/dpkg/muon/whatever will be looking for updates in those PPA's. If you really, really want to make sure you can look at an installed package for the version then look in the official Ubuntu repository to make sure they are different.
Example:
Let's check Kmail in a terminal and see what version I have installed (running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS)
	me at mycomputer:~$ aptitude show kmail
	Package: kmail
	New: yes
	State: installed
	Automatically installed: no
	*Version: 4:4.14.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa3 *<----------look here
	Section: mail

I have version 4.14.3 from the ppa installed.  You can use apt-cache show kmail instead of aptitude but I really like aptitude for some things so that is what you get   :-)

If your version doesn't have a "ppa" at the end or if you want to explore what the official repositories have, this is one way to do it.
You can use wget or a browser to get the file http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/universe/binary-amd64/Packages.gz and uncompress it. Open it up and search for Kmail using the search term "Package: kmail" (no quotes obviously).  The entry for Kmail starts like this:
	Package: kmail
	Architecture: amd64
	Source: kdepim
	*Version: 4:4.13.0-0ubuntu1 *<----------look here

See?  The official Ubuntu repositories has version 4.13.0.  Easy-peasy once you know how.

--
Alan